Today is Thanksgiving. I have much for which to be thankful.
- Food: I don’t know about you, but I definitely didn’t go hungry today. Our table was covered, the dishes full, plates piled high. The World Health Organization estimates that one-third of the world is well-fed, one-third is under-fed, and one-third is starving. I am grateful to be in that 1/3.
- Warmth: I lay cuddled under blankets a few feet from a heater. I am grateful for this.
- Health: I can walk well. Sensible words flow from my tongue. My ears hear the sound of music. My eyes see without glasses. Years of struggles with migraines seem to finally be under control. I am grateful. May these things be blessings to others.
- 4. Education: In the words of Audrey Hepburn, A quality education has the power to transform societies in a single generation, provide children with the protection they need from the hazards of poverty, labor exploitation and disease, and given them the knowledge, skills, and confidence to reach their full potential. The education I have received and am receiving surpasses quality and for that opportunity I am grateful. May it be a blessing to others.
- Children with Special Needs: they teach me so much. The way they love, the way they live, and the way they learn stretches me so much. I once thought I would love them. I would show them the way ‘we live’. I would teach them. I was wrong. I am grateful for that. I am grateful for them, their love, their lives, and their ways of learning.
- Other Cultures: there is so much to be learned on the other side of the border and across the vast ocean. I am so grateful for the differences in the ways of life that contrast our way of life.
- Friends: Baylor. Little Rock. Across the US. Around the World. High school. College. Children. Adults. Spanish speaking. English Speaking. Typically Functioning. Labeled to have special needs. The Lord has blessed me with the best. I am thankful.
- Family: My family has made me so much of who I am today. My brother is accepted to multiple med schools already. My mom works hard with children with special needs. My dad supports and encourages us all. My grandparents exemplify outward focused lives and the rest of my family adds in all the parts that make me a Morse. They have modeled work ethic, love, generosity, gratitude, and faith. As we grow older, I could not be more grateful for the time when all of us gather together.
- My God: Father. Son. Holy Spirit. Of all that I am grateful for, nothing surpasses this. Mercy. Grace. Love. Creator of all. He holds authority over all. Yet still He knows me. He died for me. There is a personal relationship. I am so thankful for Him.